Sunday, February 3, 2008

Fin

I now realize that Caius misled me. I joined the conspiracy to fire Julius to better the company, but I realize that Caius' intentions were different. He wanted the job that Julius was going to get. Caius acted out of jealousy. He came into my office today, just after I had come to this realization. We had a huge argument. Before he could say a word, I blamed him for the whole mess we are in. I attacked his selfishness and jealousy. Every flaw he has came under my scrutiny. I realize now that it was this same type of scrutiny that Caius exhibited when trying to convince me that Julius needed to be fired. I guess that I needed to convince myself that I momentarily hated my friend. Caius was helpless against my onslaught of insults. The only defense he could offer up was that a true friend would ignore his flaws. Finally he told me that he would turn himself in if I no longer wanted him as a burden. I immediately stopped ranting and begged him not to. During the silence, an email came in.

Caius motioned for me to read it. It was from corporate. "All emails will be read today at approximately 11 AM to search for evidence in the investigation of the firing of Julius Caesar." That was in two hours. I told Caius to gather our remaining followers. We were able to reconcile on the news of the email search. Once our few remaining followers had gathered in my office, I broke the news. I told everyone that unless all incriminating emails were gone by 11, we would all be fired. We split into two groups, one led by Caius, one by me. My group began searching for emails, while Caius' group began destroying physical evidence in the office. After searching for nearly two hours straight, I was told that all emails had been destroyed. I sent a messenger, John Titinus, to tell Caius the good news.

An hour later, as I searched for emails, a new memo came from corporate. "Two employees turned themselves in today and admitted to being part of a conspiracy to fire employee Julius Caesar. One employee, Mr. John Titinus, admitted to being a messenger for members of the conspiracy. Titinus admitted to passing messages to Caius Cassius, a longtime employee. Mr. Cassius revealed that he had been the planner behind the conspiracy. He also told company officials that assistant branch manager, Marcus Brutus, gave the authority for the dismissal. Caius admitted to giving Brutus false information and pressuring him to fire Julius. Caius cited the reason for revealing his role in the plot as being to protect his friend, Brutus, who he called 'a victim of my scheme' in the event that evidence was found pointing to him." I was speechless. How could this have happened? I sent the message to Caius saying that the emails had been destroyed. Why would he turn himself in?

With Caius and Julius gone, my two best friends in the company were gone. I felt lost and alone. I didn't know if I could find the will to continue covering my tracks. I didn't think it was in my conscience to continue when my friend Caius had sacrificed himself to protect my name and my job.

I picked up the phone, and called the company operator. I asked for the leader of the investigation. When he picked up, I politely introduced myself. He was shocked to hear me calling. My conscience was eating away at my, and I began to talk. I revealed everything. I told him everything I knew. He listened patiently. When I had completed my rendition of the saga that had taken place over the past several days, I hung up. I wasn't interested in his response to my story. He could do what he wanted with the information I gave him. With that burden having been lifted, I grabbed my jacket and drove home.

For the past three days, I haven't gone into work. Until today, I doubted that I even work there anymore. Portia has been very supportive. Without her, I doubt I could survive this mess. When I went out to get the mail today, I found a letter from Smith & Smith. I figured it was probably my last paycheck or something. I brought it to the kitchen table and opened it. I read through it while Portia read over my shoulder. The letter started off by thanking me for my admission. As it continued, it got even better. They were offering me my job back with the same pay. I was overcome with happiness. I could go back and work for the company I love. But then I started thinking. Maybe returning wasn't the best thing for me. Portia and I discussed it, and we decided that it was best that I look for a new job. I will miss Smith & Smith, but I cannot return after what happened. I called the branch manager, Mr. Jenkins to let him know of my decision. While he wished I would come back, he respected my decision. He told me that a plaque was being put up in the office to commemorate my achievements and honesty. I smiled. Mr. Jenkins also mentioned that in light of the recent events, he would remain in the manager position for another year. Even though I could never again work at Smith & Smith, I knew then that I had accomplished my goal. I had made Smith & Smith a better company.

No comments: