Saturday, January 19, 2008

Torn

I'm torn. I now must choose between two friends. I need to decide what is right for our office. It's a long story, but I must tell someone.

My supervisor at Smith & Smith, Mr. Jenkins, has announced to us that he will retire in two weeks. I will miss him greatly, but he will also leave behind a huge job opening. Many coworkers originally thought that I would replace him as I am the second in command and have many of the same privileges. I am quite satisfied with my current position and do not wish to receive the promotion. I love this company more than everything in the world except my family. I don't think I belong at such a major leadership position. I always have the best interests of Smith & Smith at the front of my mind. I just don't think that me leading the Concord branch is the best thing for the company. Several of my assistants from this branch are vying for this position. My two best friends Caius Cassius and Julius Caesar are both intent on getting the promotion. Although the official word from the boss is that there is no front-runner, everyone knows that Julius is almost guaranteed to get the job. In fact, I saw Mr. Jenkins approach Julius in private and tell him that barring major changes, Julius will be managing the branch. No one but me saw or heard their conversation, but I fear that Caius is beginning to get worried about the status of his promotion. Succeeding in this company means the world to him. I doubt he would take it well if he lost the promotion.

Thus I was unsurprised when Caius nervously approached me today regarding the job. He came to me while I was in the break room and called me off to the side. It was what he said to me that has left me torn over my two friends. Caius started by pointing out and picking at several of Julius' flaws. He tried to convince me how he is too ambitious and will try to take sole control of the company. He continued to tell me how he and I are Julius' equal in business skills, yet he receives better treatment. Some of his points were somewhat valid, but he seems overdramatic in some of his accusations. I don't think Julius should lead our branch, but I don't think he is any more flawed than Caius. Julius is ambitious, Caius is jealous. That's just the way they are. However, I have taken what Caius has said into account and will be carefully watching Julius' every move to see if all that he said is true. However, company rules state that I cannot take any action until I have legitimate proof that Julius is causing harm. I do have the power to fire him if I choose, but I cannot fire my friend. It is just too impossible a thought.

Portia says we are eating dinner soon, so I will have to end here. However I can be sure that this situation will not rest when I arrive at the office tomorrow. Things like this never do.

No comments: